Guest Teacher Program
Guest Teacher Program
The Central Susquehanna Intermediate Unit (CSIU) Guest Teacher Program is a service offered to local school districts. The program provides substitute teacher training to people who have a bachelor’s degree *but do not have a Pennsylvania teaching certificate. The interactive training sessions will be conducted on April 16 and May 7, and will provide strategies for effective instruction and management of traditional, non-traditional and special education classrooms, as well as offer a variety of resources. Applicants also will be required to complete at least two classroom observations, and CSIU staff will be happy to assist participants with making those arrangements. Guest teachers leave the program with an **emergency permit issued by the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) and the basic knowledge to be an effective substitute teacher.
The following currently participate in the guest teacher program:
- Benton Area
- Bloomsburg Area School District
- Danville Area School District
- Mifflinburg Area School District
- Millville Area School District
- Milton Area School District
- Mount Carmel Area School District
- Selinsgrove Area School District
- Shikellamy School District
- Southern Columbia Area School District
- Guest Teacher Application – Click here for the PDF
- Applicant’s Cover Letter and Resume
- Transcripts Confirming Bachelor’s Degree – must be sealed from college/university
- Act 114 Clearance Registration ID
(note: this FBI clearance must be processed less than one year from the time of guest teacher application)
Click here for details on how to obtain this clearance if necessary
Acceptance into the guest teacher program is based on application screening and interviewing. After candidates have been accepted, they will be required to obtain and provide to the CSIU:
- Act 151 – PA Child Abuse History clearance
- Act 34 – PA State Police Criminal Record clearance
- School employee physical examination form, including a current TB test
- PDE 338-G General Application
Frequently Asked Questions about the Guest Teacher program can be viewed here (PDF).
On behalf of the CSIU and participating districts, thank you for your interest in the Guest Teacher program.
* People who have a lapsed, inactive or current PA certification are not eligible to participate in the GT program.
** The emergency permit is valid for
the school year in which it is issued. Guest teachers wishing to
continue substitute teaching in the following year(s) must complete a
yearly application to obtain the emergency permit. The application is
provided by CSIU. The CSIU will not renew emergency permits for
individuals who did not substitute in the prior year.