About the Guest Teacher and Education Major Program
The CSIU Guest Teacher and Education Major Program is a service offered to local school districts.
The Guest Teacher portion of the program provides substitute teacher training to people who have a bachelor’s degree *but do not have a Pennsylvania teaching certificate.
The Education Major portion of the program provides substitute training to college education majors with 60 completed credit hours.
The interactive training sessions will provide strategies for effective instruction and management of traditional, non-traditional and special education classrooms, as well as offer a variety of resources. Applicants also will be required to complete a classroom observations that is arranged by CSIU staff.
Education Majors will leave the program with a Locally Issued Permit allowing the participant to sub up to 20 days per school year within CSIU participating school districts.
The following school districts currently participate in the guest teacher/education major program:
- Benton Area School District
- Berwick Area School District
- Bloomsburg Area School District
- Columbia Montour Vo-Tech
- Danville Area School District
- Line Mountain School District
- Lewisburg Area School District
- Midd-West School District
- Mifflinburg Area School District
- Millville Area School District
- Milton Area School District
- Mount Carmel Area School District
- Selinsgrove Area School District
- Shikellamy School District
- Southern Columbia Area School District
- Warrior Run School District
Frequently Asked Questions about the Guest Teacher program can be viewed here (PDF).
* People who have a lapsed, inactive or current PA certification are not eligible to participate in the GT program.
** The emergency permit is valid for the school year in which it is issued. Guest teachers wishing to continue substitute teaching in the following year(s) must complete a yearly application to obtain the emergency permit. The application is provided by CSIU. The CSIU will not renew emergency permits for individuals who did not substitute in the prior year.