Language Exchange Project
Fifty students from Spanish I and II classes at Bloomsburg University voluntarily attended several 2-hour intercultural language exchange classes with ten English Language Learners enrolled in ESL classes in Berwick, PA. The purpose of attending the classes is to improve communication skills in each other’s target language.
Some lesson strategies included:
• comparing points and manners of articulation
• asking and answering questions in the present and past tenses of English and Spanish
• translation of English and Spanish sentences
• sharing of cultural values and traditions
• and an open topic discussion.
According to a survey filled out by the Bloomsburg University students, the project received an overwhelming approval rating. Students were energized and excited to participate in this challenging, yet valuable opportunity.